En liste med inspiration til læsestof. Bliver løbende opdateret (det er i hvert fald målet)
Se tidligere anbefalinger i arkivet.
- Burnton, Simon: Arsenal’s Alexis Sánchez goes to the dogs to find solace from his big city blues in The Guardian d. 16/01-17. LÆS.
In British football it has traditionally been unusual to talk about dogs without appending the words “of war”. We like our snapping and snarling to be delivered by workaholic midfielders, while giving the inevitable 110%.
- Vergne, Laurent: Stan Wawrinka: The One in Eurosport d. 14/01-17. LÆS.
The low proportion of current players using a single-handed backhand is the result of a process of conformity which has been almost constant since the mid-1970s. But what a reversal of history that transformative period was.
- Kjeldtoft, Sebastian Stryhn: Må naturen iscenesættes? in The Guardian d. 02/01-17. LÆS.
Spørgsmålet er, om du midt i den her scene, hvor vi prøver at illustrere, hvordan livet er midt om vinteren på Nordpolen, skal sige: ’Øh, i øvrigt, den her scene er filmet i en zoo’.
- Eno, Brian: nytårstale / sammenfatning af 2016 på egen Facebook. LÆS.
This is the start of something big. It will involve engagement: not just tweets and likes and swipes, but thoughtful and creative social and political action too.
- Monbiot, George: Celebrity isn’t just harmless fun – it’s the smiling face of the corporate machine in The Guardian d. 20/12-16. LÆS.
As soon as celebrities forget their allotted role, the hounds of hell are let loose upon them. Lily Allen was the media’s darling when she was advertising John Lewis. Gary Lineker couldn’t put a foot wrong when he stuck to selling junk food to children. But when they expressed sympathy for refugees, they were torn to shreds.
- Holiday, Ryan: How would the Stoics cope today? in The Guardian d. 11/12-16. LÆS.
the Stoics struggled to come up with real, actionable answers. They held duty and honour as sacred obligations and they believed that every obstacle they faced was simply an opportunity – to test themselves and be better.
- Jessen, Jakob: Sex med andre end kæresten er den nye skilsmissekur. Men kun for overklassen in Zetland d. 06/12-16. LÆS.
Der har altid været bænkevarmere til et orgie.
- Bakowski, Gregg: Here’s a thought: how do footballers do what they do? in The Guardian. LÆS.
A player such as Jan Molby, even when bulging out of his shirt and years past retirement, can run a game without moving. This is all part of the art of understanding space.
- Di Giovanni, Janine: From Sarajevo to Aleppo: Lessons on Surviving a Siege in The Atlantic d. 12/10-16. LÆS.
Dramatic horrors like this are among the better-publicized features of a siege. But it’s easy to forget that, for people enduring them, it can be just as painful to miss the everyday things. A friend in Aleppo told me he missed just getting together with his family to watch football on TV.
- Olrik, Mads: Denne cykelrytter vinder næsten aldrig, men er alligevel tilfreds. Er han bare danskerdoven? in Zetland d. 07/10-16. LÆS.
Du kommer til at skrive, at jeg sidder her på min stamcafé og drikker min kaffe, og hvis det var det eneste, jeg lavede, kunne vi snakke om den kritik. Men jeg kan tillade mig at have en stamcafé, fordi min samvittighed er totalt ren. Jeg ved, jeg lider alt det, jeg skal. Jeg passer mit job, og jeg er blandt verdens bedste til det.
- Pearis, Bill: The Radio Dept. talk politics, 90s techno… in Brooklyn Vegan d. 05/10-16. LÆS.
I don’t think people have to get the lyrics. We will always be a pop band first, so if we meet someone who really likes us but never listens closely to the lyrics, that’s okay with me. I actually prefer that people who just want to talk politics all the time. Other people do that better, maybe. We’re not politicians, we just react.
- Lopatto, Elizabeth: How natural are nature documentaries? in The Verge d. 15/08-16. LÆS.
The Hunt is, in other words, art — and art doesn’t need to be perfectly factual in order to be true.
- Connolly, Kate: Joseph Goebbels’ 105-year-old secretary: ‘No one believes me now, but I knew nothing in The Guardian d. 15/08-16. LÆS.
“In the little time that’s left to me – and I hope it will be months rather than years – I just cling to the hope that the world doesn’t turn upside down again as it did then, though there have been some ghastly developments, haven’t there? I’m relieved I never had any children that I have to worry about.”
- Hawkins, Andrew, J.: 400-year-old shark is the longest-living vertebrate ever in The Verge d. 11/08-16. LÆS.
These sharks are so old, they don’t even begin mating until they are at least 156 years old, the research team says. That’s a long time to remain abstinent.
- Ugwu, Reggie: Inside the Playlist Factory in Buzzfeed d. 13/07-16. LÆS.
The paradox of choice in music — the more available to you, the deeper your despair over missing out — has only intensified in the streaming era.
- Fox, Jesse David: Steve Martin Performed Stand-up Last Night for the First Time in 35 Years in Vulture d. 19/02-16. LÆS.
He told jokes that were unfunny, but he knew they were unfunny, and the audience knew he knew, and that’s what made them funny.
- Kennedy, Pagan: How to Cultivate the Art of Serendipity in The New York Times d. 02/01-16. LÆS.
- Brooks, Arthur C.: Choose to Be Grateful. It Will Make You Happier in The New York Times d. 21/11-15. LÆS.
But we are more than slaves to our feelings, circumstances and genes. Evidence suggests that we can actively choose to practice gratitude — and that doing so raises our happiness.
- Korsgaard, Lea: Journalisterne har glemt én af de vigtigste opgaver: at sortere og skære fra in Politiken d. 20/11-15. LÆS.
Jeg er ikke i tvivl: Tidens vigtigste kulturkamp står lige her.
- Tavana, Art: Democracy of Sound – Is GarageBand Good For Music? in Pitchfork d. 30/09-15. LÆS.
- Hageüken, Alexander: Der Acht-Stunden-Tag muss bleiben in Süddeutsche Zeitung d. 26/08-15. LÆS.
Aber die Frage ist doch, was dieser Vorstoß für eine Berufswelt bedeutet, in der Grenzen ohnehin verschwimmen. Jeder sechste Deutsche beklagt sich, seine Erwerbstätigkeit überschneide sich zunehmend mit Familie und Feierabend.
- Hsu, Hua: It’s All Noise in The New Yorker d. 27/07-15. LÆS.
But now that we listen to music everywhere—often in a semi-distracted state, across a range of devices and settings—it should come as no surprise that artists want their music to come pre-coated with a glossy immediacy. First impressions matter. Why not insure that you can’t be ignored?
- Konnikova, Maria: The Work We Do While We Sleep in The New Yorker d. 08/07-15. LÆS.
As we sleep, our brains replay, process, learn, and extract meaning. In a sense, they think.
- Holland, Tom: Dinomania: the story of our obsession with dinosaurs in The Guardian d. 05/06-15. LÆS.
Its influence proved correspondingly enduring. Not only did it inspire an academic boom, with palaeontology PhDs who had seen the film as children now starting to take up research posts in unprecedented numbers, but it provided scholars with a standard against which to test their own theories on how dinosaurs had functioned and behaved.
- Safina, Carl: Tapping Your Inner Wolf in The New Yorker d. 05/06-15. LÆS.
This alpha male stereotype comes from a misunderstanding of the real thing. In fact, the male wolf is an exemplary male role model.
- Witt, Stephen: The Man Who Broke the Music Business in The New Yorker d. 27/04-15. LÆS.
- Lykke, Joachim: Frihed er ikke noget værd i sig selv in Information d. 18/04-15. LÆS.
Tanken om positiv og negativ frihed, at være fri af forhindringer modsat at være fri til noget, er en eklatant misforståelse.
- Macfarlane, Robert: The eeriness of the English countryside in The Guardian d. 10/04-15. LÆS.
For there is presently apparent, across what might broadly be called landscape culture, a fascination with these Jamesian ideas of unsettlement and displacement.
- Laing, Olivia: The future of loneliness in The Guardian d. 01/04-15. LÆS.
Every new technology generates a surge of anxious energy. Each one changes the rules of communication and rearranges the social order.
- Stockmann, Camilla: Opråd fra museumsdirektør: frelsen er ikke at stikke gæsterne iPad og farvekridt in Politiken d. 18/03-15. LÆS.
Vi begår en fejl, hvis vi bliver ved med at forsøge at opfinde nye værdier, for et museum er ikke en tom dunk, man kan hælde ting i.
- Lea, Greg: Lutz Pfannenstiel: the ultimate journeyman footballer on penguins, prison and dying three times in The Guardian d. 27/01-15. LÆS.
- Jensen, Lasse: Ytringsfrihed er ikke ytringspligt in Information d. 14/01-15. LÆS.
Men at forsvare ytringsfriheden er ikke blindt at forsvare alt det, som ytringsfriheden giver os frihed til.